Open Rank Tenure Track Faculty Position Opening – Alden March Bioethics Institute, Albany Medical College
June 29, 2017
The Alden March Bioethics Institute (AMBI) at Albany Medical College, Albany, New York, invites applications for an open rank tenure track faculty position. The successful candidate will join multidisciplinary colleagues from several fields, including medicine, philosophy, social work, law, policy, gender and sexuality studies, biomedical and social sciences, and nursing who provide an active clinical ethics consultation service in a 734-bed teaching hospital; engage in conceptual and empirical research; teach medical professionalism and ethics to medical students and health care professionals and scientific integrity to biomedical science graduate students; and participate in the teaching and operation of an established online graduate bioethics program that offers certificate, master’s, and doctoral program options.
Candidates should have a MD, PhD, JD, or equivalent, as well as training and experience in performing clinical ethics consultations and/or scientific integrity education and in bioethics and medical humanities education for medical students and health care professionals.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities can be tailored to the individual’s particular expertise and skill set. Primary tasks and responsibilities may include the following:
- Serving as a consultant and leader in the clinical ethics consultation service and/or teaching scientific integrity to basic science students and research ethics to graduate students in bioethics
- Teaching in a four-year educational program in ethics and humanities for medical students and in AMBI’s online graduate bioethics program
- Developing and publishing conceptual and/or empirical scholarly works
- Serving on hospital and college committees, task forces, and relevant community groups.
- Experience performing clinical ethics consultations and/or teaching scientific integrity and research ethics
- Experience with bioethics education for medical students and health care professionals
- Demonstrated ability to engage in significant bioethics research and scholarship
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to creatively contribute to the intellectual life of a vibrant, multidisciplinary bioethics program
Preference will be given to individuals with prior achievements in bioethics-related scholarship (e.g., peer-reviewed publications or extramural research funding), education, and potential for assuming a leadership role.
The Alden March Bioethics Institute (AMBI) of Albany Medical College is an internationally recognized leader in the field of bioethics. The multidisciplinary center focuses on education, research and clinical consultation. In addition to scholars, educators and clinicians affiliated with Albany Medical College, our faculty includes professors from the Albany Law School and other regional and national experts.
Salary and rank are competitive and will be based on training and experience.
The Albany Medical Center offers desirable benefits including generous leave time, health and dental insurance, opportunity to participate in a matching 403(b) plan, and a pension plan. Upon offer of employment, selected candidates must successfully complete drug testing and criminal background checks as a requirement of the hiring process. Albany Medical Center supports a diversified, smoke free environment, and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer encouraging women, underrepresented minorities, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Review of applications will begin on August 14, 2017 and will remain open until filled. Interested individuals may apply by sending electronically a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, writing sample, and the names of three references with complete contact information to:
Wayne N. Shelton, PhD
Chair, Faculty Search Committee
Alden March Bioethics Institute
Albany Medical College, Mail Code 153
47 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York 12208
For more information please visit our website: www.amc.edu/academic/bioethics/index.html